Mental Health First Aid (MHFA)
What is Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an internationally recognised training course, which teaches people how to spot the signs and symptoms of mental ill health and to provide help on a first aid basis.
MHFA won’t teach you to be a therapist, but just like physical first aid, it will teach you to listen, reassure and respond, even in a crisis.
What will I learn?
Learning takes place through a mix of group activities, presentations and discussions.
Two Day - Mental Health First Aiders
A practical skills and awareness course designed to give you:
- A deeper understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect people’s wellbeing, including your own
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to appropriate support
What to expect
How will attending an MHFA course help?
- Research and evaluation shows that taking part in an MHFA course:
- Raises awareness and mental health literacy
- Reduces stigma around mental ill health
- Boosts knowledge and confidence in dealing with mental health issues
- Promotes early intervention which enables recovery