Apprenticeships & Work Experience
Apprenticeships and work experience offer a route into the world of work and can be a great way to find out more about what it’s like to work in the NHS and gain valuable experience – and, in the case of apprenticeships, a recognised qualification.
Apprenticeships are work-based training programmes that lead to a qualification and are designed to help employers train people for specific roles.
We work with local providers including ProStart to offer a range of qualification standards in subjects including business & admin, children & young people, health & social care, facilities support, customer services, AAT finance, pharmacy, warehousing & logistics.
Our new-recruit apprenticeships are suitable for all new entrants to the NHS, however for some services the applicant must be aged over 18.
- Apprenticeships run for between 13 months and four years.
- They include a functional skills qualification in English and maths (if applicable).
- New recruits benefit from a fixed-term training contract.
- Existing Trust staff can be fully-funded to undertake an apprenticeship.
- Apprentices work a minimum of 30 hours a week to undertake the qualification full-time. Part-time workers will need to extend the length of time that they study for, to allow for all of the learning hours required.
- The apprentice wage for new recruits is £150 per week (as at July 2019, increasing annually). Existing staff see no changes to their current pay, terms or conditions.
- Apprentices spend 20 per cent of their time on 'off-the-job' training.
We advertise our apprentice vacancies on NHS Jobs and via our website as they become available throughout the year.
Nottinghamshire Healthcare is part of the Work Experience Hub for Nottinghamshire, hosted by Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, which provides a centralised process for anyone seeking work experience placements in the health and social care sectors.
Various work experience placements are available throughout the year at Nottinghamshire Healthcare. Details and an application form can be found here.